The Shirley Ryan AbilityLab (formerly Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago) is a premiere rehabilitation destination for adults and children with the most severe, complex conditions — from traumatic brain and spinal cord injury to stroke, amputation and cancer. Gensler, in partnership with HDR, and in association with Clive Wilkinson Architects and EGG Office, designed the 27-story, 1.2-million-square-foot facility as the first-ever “translational” research hospital in which clinicians, scientists, innovators, and technologists work together in the same space – surrounding patients, discovering new approaches and applying (or “translating”) research real time. This translational approach means patients have 24/7 access to the brightest minds, the latest research, and the best opportunity for recovery.
- AIA Shirley Ryan Ability Lab wins 2019 AIA Award for Interior Architecture ?
- Fast Company 2018 Innovation by Design Awards – Honorable Mention, Health ?
- Healthcare Design 2018 Healthcare Design Showcase - Award of Merit ?
- Contract 2017 Interiors Awards — Winner, Healthcare ?
- Interior Design Shirley Ryan AbilityLab honored with Best of Year recognition ?
- International Interior Design Association (IIDA) 2017 Healthcare Interior Design Competition – Winner, Hospitals - Academic/Teaching Hospitals ?
- Modern Healthcare 2017 Design Awards – Winner, Gold Award ?
- Modern Healthcare Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is recognized with Modern Healthcare's Gold Award ?
- US News & World Report 2017-2018 Best Hospitals - #1 Rehabilitative Hospital ?